Friday, October 9, 2015

Care about Character | Morning Meeting Lessons

I find that morning meeting time is extremely important.  You communicate with students a variety of topics such as the calendar, schedules, etc.  One decision I made this year was to focus on themselves, focus on character.  I found a great resource which I've been using during this time.  I've mapped out a particular day to focus on character, which is on Tuesdays.

(Each morning I try to focus on something important.  Right now I have it set up like so...Monday:  Calendar and Upcoming events, Tuesday:  Character, Wednesday:  Read Aloud, Thursday:  Think about it and Friday:  Fill your book box Friday).

Each month has a different theme.  August was Optimism.  September was Integrity.  October is Perseverance. Students are given a packet to keep in their home to school binder (S.T.A.R.  Binder) and I also post the information on our "Care about Character" wall.



During the month, the students and I talk (or will talk) about what the words means, examples of actions representing the word, and if we have demonstrated any of these actions.  This has also been a great cross over to our Language Arts block because students are able to bring these Character traits into discussions about character in stories.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment